In Brasil, my home country, we eat a lot of garlic and onions in our daily cooking. It is like a standard routine to use those foods in various dishes and all year around. European and African cultures influenced Brazilian culture and we’ve developed a very eclectic and rich portfolio of recipes that are incredibly delicious and nutritious at the same time. What I love about using garlic every day is that it is a phenomenal food to keep you healthy and safe from many illnesses. Garlic is in my opinion THE BEST medicinal food of all, and perhaps the most ancient food dated in history.
Here are some facts and valuable information that will no doubt shed some light on this amazing superfood and make you run to your nearby fruit & veg shop to get some garlic into your diet:
- Garlic is powerful antimicrobial and kill more than 300 types of germs
- Natural antibacterial and antiviral
- Help reduce BAD cholesterol (LDL) and protect the cardiovascular system
- Assist liver detoxification and cleanse
- Excellent food to have when sick with cold & flu symptoms
- Help the lungs dissolve and expel mucus in case of infection
- Natural aphrodisiac – helps increase libido
- Fights and kills parasites, fungus, candida and H.Pylori bacteria
- Natural blood thinner
- Increase vitality and energy
- Enhance immune system and strengthen the body against infection, inflammation and oxidative stress (ageing)
Personally, I use garlic in the following dishes:
- Sauces and dressings
- Pasta dishes
- Rice dishes
- Marinating– tofu, meat and fish
- Dips, paste and guacamole recipes
Garlic is perhaps one of the most used and beloved ingredients in professional kitchens. The flavor and aroma of garlic are amazing, very unique, and powerful. One garlic clove is sufficient to make a totally different taste and experience in a dish. I use up to 3-5 garlic cloves, especially to marinate whole chicken, fish and meats.
So here it goes, now you know a bit more about garlic and this amazing ancient superfood used for thousands of years as a natural medicine and its excellent for gut health. Enjoy your cooking and be conscious that the food that you eat is helping you inside out to stay healthy, fit and beautifully young.
About the Author
Ronaldo Fulieri was our guest speaker on our Kickstart 2020 webinar with John Fiztgerald.
Ronaldo is open, friendly, energizing and definitely an inspiring Brazilian who is passionate about nutrition and cooking. He loves and respects food and knows that fresh ingredients have to be used adequately to preserve maximum nutrition and bio-availability.
Born and raised in Sao Paulo, Brazil, nutritionist and chef Ronaldo Fulieri’s first book, Ronaldo’s Kitchen: The Superpower of Nutrition brings not only delicious and simple recipes to your dining room table but, well informed nutritional information that will help you to enjoy good food and experience weight loss at the same time.